Thursday, June 16, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?

What a hilarious, adorable story! I can't count how many times I laughed out loud. I’ve been hearing great things about this book for months now, and I waited half that time just to get a copy from my library. It was worth the wait.


This is a light and fun story about a girl named Anna who is uprooted from Georgia and sent to a school in Paris for her senior year. She leaves behind her best friend and her almost-boyfriend, broods about what her life could have been, and discovers a whole lot more.

I'm not a huge romance fan, but the plot of this book is basically all romance and I still loved it. The romance is light and fun, and keeps away from the whole love-at-first-nanosecond thing. Which I appreciated, especially since the setting is Paris, the city of love. Perkins deftly keeps the story moving at a good pace, with fantastic characters and typical teen situations. Yet she can keep an adult reader interested, too. I couldn't put it down.

What are you waiting for? Go pick up a copy!

10 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

I don't normally read romance either, unless it's paranormal romance, but I may have to check this out. Thanks!

Laura Pauling said...

I loved this book! Great read.

Test said...

This book has been in my TBR pile for ages now, and I'm starting to think that it's time that I finally give this book a try. Great review! :)

Catherine Stine said...

I've now read a few good reviews for this book! Even though this type of book is not my cuppa joe, I like the idea that it's set in Paris, and I do love funny stories.

Unknown said...

A great review! Thanks for sharing here and wetting our appetites.

Krispy said...

Okay, I might really have to read this now. I've been hearing for a long time how good it is, but I haven't thought about reading it because of the romance-focus. It's not the usual type of book I go for.

Guess I'll be adding it to the TBR then.

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for romance stories so my interest was instantly piqued when I read your review. Great review!

Laila Knight said...

I love romance, and this sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing.

Tabitha said...

Sorry for the late response. I've been on vacation since thursday morning. It was nice and relaxing, even if I'm severely sunburned. :)

This book isn't anywhere near what I'd usually pick up, and I just loved it. It's so cute and funny, I'd recommend it to anyone. :) So all of you who haven't read it yet, go get a copy! You'll love it.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm not a romance fan either and was reluctant to pick this up. But I did really like it.