Monday, October 08, 2012

Quotes from Writers

Here's some more great quotes for you all. Enjoy!


If you wish to be a writer, write.
- Epictetus

Don’t expect the puppets of your mind to become the people of your story. If they are not realities in your own mind, there is no mysterious alchemy in ink and paper that will turn wooden figures into flesh and blood.
- Leslie Gordon Barnard

A good title should be like a good metaphor.  It should intrigue without being too baffling or too obvious.
- Walker Percy

One thing that helps is to give myself permission to write badly. I tell myself that I’m going to do my five or 10 pages no matter what, and that I can always tear them up the following morning if I want. I’ll have lost nothing—writing and tearing up five pages would leave me no further behind than if I took the day off.
- Lawrence Block

Loving your subject, you will write about it with the spontaneity and enthusiasm that will transmit itself to your reader. Loving your reader, you will respect him and want to please him. You will not write down to him. You will take infinite pains with your work. You will write well. And if you write well, you will get published.
- Lee Wyndham

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.
- Robert Heinlein

Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Review. Reread. Rewrite.
- George Mair

A writer's voice is not character alone, it is not style alone; it is far more.  A writer's voice line the stroke of an artist's brush- is the thumbprint of her whole person- her idea, wit, humor, passions, rhythms. 
- Patricia Lee Gauch

My books are water; those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) Everybody drinks water.
- Mark Twain

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the Lee Wyndham quote about loving your reader. So important to remember that we write not just because we love it, but because we want to give our readers a quality product.

It makes all those rounds of edits more like a gift to our readers.

Kelly Hashway said...

I love the Emerson quote!

Unknown said...

LOL, I love the Lee Wyndham one too. You gotta love your readers.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post.

Katie Checkley said...

I love the one about the title! I love good titles. I enjoy talking about a book I love more if I also love the title. Nice blog. Now following :)