Monday, December 03, 2012

Inspirational Quotes

I've got another batch of great quotes for you all. Enjoy!

Only a mediocre writer is always at his best.
- William Somerset Maugham

I have rewritten- often several times- every word I have ever written. My pencils outlast their erasures.
- Vladimir Nabokov

Writing is 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent elimination.
- Louise Brooks

When you sell a man a book, you don't sell him 12 ounces of paper and ink and glue - you sell him a whole new life.
- Christopher Morley

A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor.
- Ring Lardner

Publishing a volume of verse is like dropping a rose petal down the Grand Canyon and waiting for the echo.
- Don Marquis

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.
- Lord Byron

What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.
- Samuel Johnson

Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very;" your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.
- Mark Twain

The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair.
- Mary Heaton Vorse

We don't write what we know. We write what we wonder about.
- Richard Peck

Good things, when short, are twice as good.
- Baltasar Gracian

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love these! Thanks for sharing.

I relate to writing what I wonder about. So true!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Love the quotes. Especially the 99 per cent elimination.

Unknown said...

Another great set of quotes. The first one is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I love these. I should do a Tuesdays's Top Ten with quotes. I especially like the quotes by Lord Byron and Richard Peck

Kelly Hashway said...

I'm with Byron. I'd go mad if I didn't write. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love these especially Mark twain's advice :)

Yanting Gueh said...

'We write what we wonder about.' Loved that. I laughed when I read the one on SASE.

Catherine Stine said...

I like Peck's quote because I've always thought the "write to what you know" was bunk. It's much more interesting to write what you want to know so that you can do fun research, interviews and the like!